Tuesday, June 17, 2014

It's in my blood.

I post a lot of foster-care related things through my social media channels. I talk about foster care a lot. I write about it a lot. I read about it daily. I love hearing about other people's foster/adoption journeys. Much of my life is consumed by it, and here's why:

Foster care is in my blood. It's coursing through my veins.

It's hard sometimes; Feels impossible. And I'm a hot mess like 98% of the time. But I will never stop loving foster care and adoption. I want to do everything I can to support and care for others who journey down this road, and encourage those who may be considering it.

There's so much pain in it, but so much possibility for redemption, for everyone involved. I love deeper, feel stronger, advocate louder, hug tighter, apologize quicker, cry harder than I have ever done in my life. And I wouldn't change it.

If someone would have told me everything -- all the happiness and hell -- we would experience before we started, I would do it all over again. Twice. Because my children need a voice and they need a safe place. And so do the 400,000 other children in foster care, grieving a loss so deep and dealing with trauma so heartbreaking it's too big for them to handle.

So, sorry I'm not sorry about all the foster care related posts, conversations, articles. It's what my family is made of; it's who we are. It's in my blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment